Do you have a passion to share Jesus among the unreached in Thailand or nearby Buddhist nations? Want to share Jesus in an area with no or few believers? The School of Frontier Missions (SOFM) in Chiang Mai will prepare you to cross cultures, share the good news and make disciples.
Buddhist World SOFM
The Chiang Mai SOFM is focused on preparing students to share the Good News with the Buddhist people of Asia. Get trained to understand the worldview and belief systems of unreached people groups, plant growing churches, and get placed on a team that will help guide you as you learn the language and begin to bear fruit.
This is no lecture-heavy, theoretical training. Staff and students will be experimenting with culture studies, worship, and local-style evangelism throughout the school. We will visit mosques and temples together, spend time in local communities, and learn from those around us. You will hear from experienced field workers, staff & church planters, who have years of ministry experience, countless stories, and eye-opening case studies to learn from.
Topics we will cover include:
- Biblical Basis of Missions
- Understanding Culture and Worldview
- Language Learning & Cross-Cultural Living
- Pioneering, Planting and Multiplying the Kingdom of God
- Disciple Making Movements (DMMs)
- Beliefs of Buddhists and Muslims
- Church-Planting among SE Asian People Groups
- Mission Strategy (planning field strategy)
- Business, Community Development and Media
- Effective Teams and Pioneering
- Team Building and Dynamics (how to build great team relationships)
- Building a Great Support Base (financial, prayer, coaching, etc.)
- And more!
Team Field Assignment
After the SOFM finishes, you will be paired with a church-planting team for 1 year or more – in either an unreached Buddhist-majority province in a Thailand or with a team working among Muslims. In addition, you will be offered additional training and coaching opportunities with experienced field-workers. This is not a traditional school, but an opportunity to learn and join a real field team you can work with for the next year… or 5 years.
There are several Buddhist-world field assignment locations available, including among Central Thai Buddhists and Northern Thais. We currently have teams in several locations ready to bring you into their team and ministry!
If you have a specific people group or location in mind, let us know!
The School of Frontier Mission (SOFM) will be an accredited course through YWAM’s University of the Nations (UofN). You will receive a total of 24 credits through the UofN for completing the SOFM + Field Assignment.